You can sell your product, without even having one. The key to successful start is the proof-of-concept, and nothing is better than sales as the main proof. So the main idea is to get first sales, let’s say 10, before even starting to create the product itself.
Nowadays people are familiar with Kickstarter, IndieGoGo and other crowd-funding services, so prepaying is not something scary anymore. I don’t insist on joining crowd-funding services, that’s a different story, but following the easy way:
- Find your potential customers on Facebook, Linkedin, or through your existing connections
- Tell them about your product (remember, you don’t have one!) and ask for advice/ideas
- During the conversation focus on what these people need, not on what you plan to do
- When you have clear idea of what they need – pre-sell them your product.
- Repeat this 10-15 times, and here’s your proof of concept!