Startup Radius interviewed guys from Noplag – online plagiarism tool which is among Top5 most used plagiarism checkers in USA. Discover how they found their niche, crawled 1,3 billion web pages and now generate 500,000 plagiarism reports monthly (with 100,000 MAU on board)! Enjoy the interview below, and learn why it’s so important to find your perfect user persona first.
Can you tell us about what you are working on? What is Noplag?
Noplag is online plagiarism detecting software for writers, students, educators, companies and website owners. Noplag Service helps to detect plagiarism, avoid unintentional plagiarism in your writing and keep the academic integrity on the highest level.
The company offers four main products for customers:
- Noplag@solo was created for individual use, where customers can try a variety of professional functions similar to the plagiarism detection software of the most renowned universities. Non-registered users have a restricted number of free checks, while registration guarantees everyone expanded functionality and unlimited plagiarism checks.
- Noplag@co has been developed for businesses and groups of people. It is a new example of the collaboration tool that allows assigning, performing tasks or evaluating them. Suitable for writers and their customers; can be used by any corporate system like CMS or LMS as well as online.
- Noplag@edu is an exclusive version meant for modern educational institutions that can easily replace any learning management system. Providing an opportunity to assign tasks and check student’s academic papers for teaching staff it also can be used by students, who wish to ensure in the uniqueness of their piece of writing.
- Noplag@web is a breakthrough version for website owners planned to be released in spring. Its unmatched advantage is an automatic check of the submitted to the site content.
There are many characteristics of Noplag to be a serious competitor to other similar services. The main difference is a modern improved algorithm of scanning. A user can choose how his texts must be scanned: against documents contained in her/his library, definite files and folders, Noplag’s database or/and the entire Web.
Another advantage is absolutely free checks and additional functionality that can be purchased for reasonable money. And finally, these are unique peculiarities of Noplag to be appreciated by everyone:
- Efficient plagiarism check that includes a high-quality analysis in accordance with user’s individual settings;
- Similarity index detection accompanied with the matches list and resources links;
- Character replacement, citations, references, bibliography and patchwork plagiarism detection;
- Results of the check are offered in a matter of seconds;
- Possibility to scan documents in the background mode;
- Submission of numerous file formats (.doc, .txt, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, .odt, .html)
- Personal library of files creation;
- A detailed similarity report with over 20 important indexes;
- Check of multiple documents simultaneously;
- Different sources to check against that can be chosen by the user;
- Commenting, etc.
Why are you building this? Was there a particular source of inspiration or big idea?
Every other student is cheating my presenting someone else’s paper as their own. In Ukraine there are no tools or regulations to control and manage it. Thus we decided to build an easy to use, online system which would help Ukrainian educators check students papers for plagiarism. However, the best place to test the plagiarism checker is where such tools are already widely used. That’s how Noplag has become TOP 5 plagiarism checkers in the United States.
Time for bragging! How big you are – traffic, users, anything else?
Slowly but steady! At this moment we have around 100 000 monthly users, which generates around 500 000 plagiarism reports. We are already releasing a new version of Noplag@edu designed specifically for education institutions, with options to create classes, assignments, review and grade papers online. At this moment we have around 5000 applications. 20 education institutions are already using Noplag@edu as a part of early access program.
Who are your main competitors, and how you are different from them?
This is quite a competitive market. We are different in every way. You need to check through Noplag to see it for yourself. For starters our design, it was built so user can easily understand and operate the tools. 4 types of plagiarism checks, against the entire Web, which consist of more than 1.3 Billion Pages, our own database of papers, publications, articles which has more than 6 millions files now. Publications with 10 Millions files and of course My Library, is where you can upload and host unlimited number of your own text files. You can download and share Noplag plagiarism report.
Who uses Noplag? What are your main client types?
Students, educators, writers, copywriters, content writers, website owners, business.
Were there any early ‘growth hacks’ or tactics that have contributed to your current success?
We are building our product for every type of user, not just for one specific niche!
What were some of the biggest challenges while building the product early on and how did you solve them?
Tools and features that we release are not always become handy or popular and so we have to get rid of them, even though we spent time building them.
What are your main traffic channels, how did you discover them and why do you stick to them?
Education institutions, educators, students, content writers, business. These are our main users, so we build our product around their needs which we receive in the form of the feedback.
If you could give a marketing advice to other companies, what could it be based on your experience?
Yes, at first find your niche audience 🙂 Once niche is found, don’t waste your budget on anything else, except for the niche!
What are the top 5-10 products/services you use in your company and why do you like them?
- Google Analytics is a must to track your traffic.
- Hotjar for usability analyses – its free, easy to set up and very informative.
- Nudgespot for customer support – we were looking for Intercom alternatives and found Nudgespot. Love it!
- Zendesk for emails – well, Zendesk is the best!